Monday, May 12, 2008

TTV

I've been experimenting with ttv (through the viewfinder) photos. I bought a Duaflex II camera for a couple of bucks on eBay. It doesn't have the grid lines in the viewfinder like the Rolleiflex I have and it's also nowhere near as valuable so I can tape it without stress and if it ever falls while I'm trying to set up one of these shots I can get through without crying. I think that the photos are coming out really cool. So a TTV photo just means that you use one camera to take a picture of the big, square viewfinder of a box camera. It usually adds a more vintage look to the photo and distorts the focus around the edges. I enhanced that distortion by using a macro lens on my digital to take the pictures.

The first photo is of a leaf on my pumpkin plant. The other photographs are a little less traditional. They're actually ttv photographs of prints of my old photographs. I set up the duaflex on a table on it's back with the lens facing up and then placed prints directly on top of the viewing lens and back lit the print paper with a small lamp. Let me know what you think. I'm planning to add these photos to my shop on etsy.com in the next couple of days.

No comments: